Adult Occupational Therapy
Description of Service
What is Occupational therapy?
Occupational therapists work with people to help them regain or maintain independence and improve their daily living skills. This may include assistance with: access to assistive technology, changes to the home environment, learning new strategies and skills, or referrals to services and supports.
How can an occupational therapist help me?
Whether you have a long term health condition, are recovering from an illness or surgery or daily tasks are just harder to do, an OT may be able to help.
Daily activities you might want support to be able to do could be:
- cooking a meal
- using steps at home
- using the shower or toilet at home
- dressing yourself
- getting out and about
- catching public transport
- participate in your hobbies or interests
- maintaining energy levels
- care for family member
Assistive technology and home modifications could include:
- Showering / toileting equipment
- Grab rails, step, ramp modifications
- Bedroom, seating equipment
- Mobility scooters, wheelchairs
- Pressure care equipment
- Small aids for eating and dressing
Are there any services you don’t offer?
- Paediatric therapy services
- Work capacity assessments
- Driving assessments
- WorkCover, Department of Veteran Affairs or Transport Accident Commission claims
Occupational Therapy services are available within our Rehabilitation Service and for NDIS participants.
Occupational therapy is a home visiting service so we will come and see you in your own home.
You may be invited to attend a group or session at one of our community health centres:
- Melton Health and Community Services (Yellow Building)
- Caroline Springs community Health Centre
- Bacchus Marsh Community Health Centre
How do I get an appointment
If you are over the age of 65 (50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) please contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
You may have a GP referral to access this service or contact 9747 7609 to arrange a self-referral.
If you are an NDIS Participant please contact 9747 7609.
For Further information, please call the Referral and Appointment Service on 03 9747 7609.